Skyscraper of Wood?
Time & Location
About the event
Join the Swedish and Finnish Consulates in New York for a panel discussion on the possibilities with wood. The International Code Council (ICC) has approved 17 changes to the 2021 editions of the International Building Code (IBC) and International Fire Code, allowing for mass timber buildings up to 18 stories. Working with wood can reduce the climate impact of a building by up to 50 % and reduce the construction time significantly. Wood offers appealing possibilities from architectures’ perspective, of which the award-winning headquarter of a Finnish gaming company Supercell in Helsinki is a good example. Another one is the world’s tallest wooden building – Sara Cultural Center - that is being built right now in the Swedish city of Skellefteå. What is the future of wooden construction, including high rises? What types of possibilities does wood offer for design and architecture? Hear world-leading architects and specialists discuss sustainable building material.
- Matthew Tonello of Consigli, chair of Finland-Maine Industry working group for Advanced Wood Construction
- Antto Kauhanen of Stora Enso
- Teemu Halme of Anttinen Oiva Architechts
- Oskar Norelius of White Arkitekter
- Urban Blomster of Södra Skogsägarna
- Jessica Becker of Trästad
- Tanya Luthi of Entuitive